644. Joshua9 Wood was born in Pomfret, CT in 1755.
Joshua died 26 October 1820 in Keene, Cheshire, NH, at 65 years of age.
Joshua Wood, who was born in Pomfret, Connecticut, in 1755, went to Keene in the latter part of the eighteenth century
and was actively concerned in the early development of the town, where he died in 1820. Joshua Wood was one of the valued and valuable
citizens of the early years of Keene, and is said to have owned the first wagon in that town. He contributed in many ways to its substantial
and moral development. He and his wife were among the early members of the First Congregational Church of Keene, and the family identification
with this church embraces a period of one hundred years. Joshua Wood and his son Amos were soldiers in the War of 1812. He married Esther
Estey, and his children were: Esther, Hannah, Polly, Judith, Daniel, Amos, Sally, Lucy, Nathan, George, Isaac, and David. All of these
children save one, George, who died at sea, lived to be over fifty years of age. From Genealogical and Family History of the State of New
Hampshire: A Record of the Achievements of Her People in the Making of a Commonwealth and the Founding of a Nation, Volume 3.
Joshua Wood and Esther Estey had the following child:
Esther8 Wood was born 31 Oct 1782 in Keene, Cheshire, NH.
Hannah Wood was born 29 Mar 1785 in Keene, Cheshire, NH. She died 1 May 1863 in La Porte, IN. Hannah married Samuel Nevins 29 Jan 1809 in
Keene, NH. Samuel was born 27 Nov 1784 in Groton, NH and died 23 Sep 1849 in La Porte, IN. Hannah and Samuel had the following children:
- Oscar Nevins b. 13 Oct 1810 Hanover, Chautauqua County, NY. Died 10 Oct 1876 in Titusville, PA.
- Susan Nevins Died 1832 in Buffalo, Erie County, NY.
- William Nevins b. 13 May 1815 Hanover, Chautauqua County, NY. Died 18 Nov 1885 in Jacksonville, FL.
- Dr. Mortimer Nevins b. 13 Jun 1817 Hanover, Chautauqua Co., NY. Died 21 Dec 1893 Silver Cliff, CO.
- Sylvia Nevins b. 1821 Hanover, Chautauqua County, NY. Died 25 May 1845.
- Caroline Nevins b. 13 Nov 1823 Hanover, Chautauqua County, NY. Died before 1882 in Rockford, Winnebago County, IL.
- Alpheus Nevins 1823 Hanover, Chautauqua County, NY.
Polly Wood was born 6 Jun 1787 in Keene, Cheshire, NH. She died in Readsboro, VT 21 Aug 1870. In 1803 Polly married Stephen Bishop who was born 14 May
1781 in Connecticut and died 7 Oct 1872 in Readsboro, VT. The History of Readsboro contains this entry about Stephen: "Stephen BISHOP from New
Haven, Conn., settled in town about 1800, and died in 1871, aged ninety-two years. Stephen and his son Daniel were noted as being successful
bear hunters." Stephen and Polly had the following children:
- Oriel Bishop b. 12 Jul 1805 Readsboro, VT. M. 1825 Eunice Rice. D. 10 Nov 1844 in Brattleboro, VT, age 39.
- Esther Wood Bishop b. 27 Jul 1808 Readsboro, VT. M. 1834 Darius Ballou in Readsboro, VT. Died 24 Jan 1884, Age: 75 in Hilbert, Calumet,
- Daniel Bishop was born on 15 Mar 1812 in Readsboro, VT. Daniel married Philena Stafford.
- Amos Bishop b. 4 Jul 1815 in Readsboro, VT. Died 9 June 1869 in Searsburg, VT. M. Sarah Gallup.
- Mary Bishop was born on 24 Jun 1819 in Readsboro, VT. She died on 22 Aug 1822.
- Laura Bishop was born on 9 Jul 1825 in Readsboro, VT. She died on 2 Nov 1854.
Laura married Hosea Ballou.
Judith Wood was born 7 Feb 1790 in Keene, Cheshire, NH. She married Jonathan Carter 9 Jan 1810 in Keene, NH. Jonathan was born 1 Oct
1783 in Sudbury, MA to Jonathan Carter Jr. and Hannah Stevens. He died 2 Dec 1861 in Oakland,
NY. Judith died four days later on 6 Dec 1861.
They had the following children:
- Jonathan Carter b. 17 May 1810 in NH. He died 1895 in Maquoketa, Iowa.
- Eunice Carter b. 22 Jan 1812 in NH.
- William Carter b. 27 May 1815 in NH.
- Alvira Carter b. 30 May 1817 in NY.
- Henry Carter b. 15 Mar 1820 in Onondaga, NY. D. 13 Feb 1903 Canisteo, Steuben, NY.
- Julia Carter b. 19 Jun 1822 in Onondaga, NY. D. 6 Oct 1903 Syracuse, NY.
- Edward Carter b. 22 Mar 1825 in Onondaga, NY. D. 8 June 1906
- Maria M Carter b. 24 Jul 1827 in Onondaga NY. D. 17 May 1903 in Elmira, NY.
- Mary Carter b. 24 Jul 1827 in Onondaga NY. B. 20 Jul 1920 in Allen, Allegany, NY.
- Joel A Carter b. 16 May 1830 in Onondaga NY. D. 8 Apr 1917 in Portland, Chautauqua, NY
- George Carter b. Feb 1833 in Onondaga NY. D. 22 Feb 1912 in Onondaga NY.
Daniel L. Wood was born 31 Mar 1792 in Keene, Cheshire, NH. He died 3 Mar 1874 in Peru, VT. He married Minerva Trask who was b. 18 May 1794 in
Heath, MA and who died 24 Jan 1875 in Peru, VT. They had:
Amos Wood was born 16 Jun 1794 in Keene, Cheshire, NH. Amos died 12 Jun 1873 in Keene, NH.
was a farmer and lived in Keene, Walpole and Wilton. He was a Deacon in the Congregational
church of Walpole. He m. (1), Sept. 23, 1817, Fanny Seward, b. Sullivan, Nov. 13, 1794, d.
Walpole, Sept. 19, 1848; dau. of Dea. Josiah and Sarah (Osgood) Seward of S. He m. (2), Mar 20,
1850. Pamelia Wightman, b. Walpole (?), 1795, d. there, Nov. 16, 1854; dau. of Israel and
Frances (Allen) Wightman; m. (3), Apr. 16, 1858, Mrs. Lucinda (Gould) Kent of Nashua. b.
Henniker, Dec. 22, 1807, widow of Abel Willard Kent, and dau. of Benjamin and Abigail (Clark)
Gould. Ch. b. Keene:
- Roswell Trask Wood b. 23 Jul 1822 in Readsboro, VT. He was a farmer. He married Julia
Harrington. Died 7 Feb 1904 in Keene, NH of Heart Disease.
- Emily Wood
- John Quincy Adams Wood b.5 Mar 1828 in Shaftsbury, Bennington, VT. M. Fannie B. Wood on 29 Jan 1880. Died 21 Oct 1905 in Manchester, VT.
- Mary A. Wood b. 1830 Windhall, VT d. 26 Jun 1876 of Spinal Disease
- Noreen Wood
- Myron C Wood b. 1837. D. 11 Oct 1841 in Peru, VT, age 4.
- Amos Seward, b. Dec. 5, 1817, was a baggage master on the Cheshire R. R. There had been a train
wrecked and some broken, derailed cars were left near the track. He wished to show the spectacle
to a friend who was riding with him, and, opening the side door a little, he cautiously put out
his head to see where he was, but just in time to be hit by the derailed car, from the effects
of which accident he died very soon after, Apr. 24, 1856. He m., Jan. 6, 1841, Roxana Seward, b.
Sullivan, May 22, 1821, dau. of Abijah and Roxana (Fay) Seward. No children.
- Fanny, b. May 5, 1819, m. July 15, 1851, Harvey Ball, b. Alstead, Apr. 27, 1818, d. Nashua,
Dec. 10, 1902; son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Gould) Ball. She d. at Nashua, May 14, 1895. She had
no children, but reared most tenderly the son of her deceased sister, Louisa, who was the former
wife of Mr. Ball. Mr. Ball was a mechanic of an unusually high order. He had a delicate ear for
music, and made some of the best violins ever manufactured in New England. Two of them have been
used in the American Orchestra at Lowell. He made a pipe organ for his own parlor and other
curious musical instruments. He has been an inventor of several curious and useful mechanisms,
among them an ingenious billiard counter. He was one of the best clock-makers in America. Some
of his large eight day clocks have been sold for large prices, and some of the time-pieces are
of remarkable design and construction. Like most inventors he did not reap the full pecuniary
benefit of his skill.
- Louisa, b. Aug. 14, 1824, m. May 23, 1844, Harvey Ball, who subsequently m. her sister Fanny.
She d. at Bellows Falls, Vt., Dec. 11, 1848. She had one ch.:
- Milon Wood Ball, b. Bellows Falls, Oct. 20, 1848; m. (1), Sept. 22, 1873, Martha Maria Bunker,
b. Walpole, d. Nashua, June 9, 1874; dau. of Oren and Mary (Fisher) Bunker. He m. (2), Mar. 27,
1876, Sarah Rogene Case, b. Fletcher, Vt., Sept. 17, 1857, dau. of Jerome Bonaparte and Eleanor
H. (Iverson) Case. Res. Nashua, and is employed in the cloth-room of the Nashua Mfg. Co. He has
Ina Della Ball, b. Nashua, June 12, 1878.
- A ch. that d. Nov. 15, 1828.
- Elvira Maria, b. July 5, 1833, m. Mar. 20, 1866, Charles Moulthrop. She d. at Concord, N. H.,
Aug. 29, 1882; one dau.:
- Annie Maria, b. Walpole, Sept. 12, 1859, d. Nashua, July 7, 1876.
Sally Wood was born 23 Jun 1796 in Keene, Cheshire, NH.
Lucy Wood was born 26 Oct 1798 in Keene, Cheshire, NH. Lucy died 11 Nov 1798 in Keene, NH.
Nathan Wood was born 31 May 1800 in Keene, Cheshire, NH. He served as an Ensign in the
Twentieth Regiment of Fifth Brigade of New Hampshire and was honorably discharged 16 April 1822.
He married Lorinda Ruggles of
Rutland, VT. She was born 4 Apr 1804 and died 4 Dec 1861. They had the following children:
- Julia R. Wood b. Aug 1825 and died in Washington, D.C. 16 Feb 1905, the widow of Levi Potter
- Susan E. Wood b. 22 May 1828. She married Hon. J.J. Allen Jr., whom she survived. She died
in Keene 20 Aug 1902.
- Sarah L. Wood b. 20 May 1833
- Mary L. Wood b. 20 Jun 1841. Died 16 Mar 1846.
George Wood was born 4 Apr 1802 in Keene, Cheshire, NH. He died at sea.
Isaac Wood was born 18 Aug 1805 in Keene, Cheshire, NH.
David Wood was born 8 Sep 1807 in Keene, Cheshire, NH. m. Mrs. Betsey (Crouch) Harris b.
Brattleboro', Vt. Feb. 22, 1814, dau.
of Oliver and Betsey (Mixer) Crouch. [She m. 1st Nov. 30, 1836 Charles Harris
b. Vernon, Vt. Ap. 9, 1814, d. there Nov. 21, 1845, son of Ziba and Polly Harris.
Their ch. were 1. Mary Ann (Harris) b. Buffalo, N. Y. July 21, 1840, m. Lansing
Wilder (q. v.) 2. Charles Henry (Harris) b. Buffalo, N. Y. Ap. 30, 1843, killed
in battle at Chancellorsville May 3, 1863.] Betsey died 20 Sep 1898 in Keene, NH at 84 years of
age. tDavid and Betsey had the following children:
- Jennie Evelyn Wood b. Vernon, Vt. Nov. 6, 1849.
- Julia Augusta b. Keene Oct. 5, 1851 ; d. Ap. 6, 1864.
- Ella Mariah b. Keene Sept. 18, 1853 ; d. March 11, 1864.
Send email to preparer: email@example.com
Return to Table of Contents or Index
Go to Next Page
Go to Previous Page